Drupal 10. Why You should upgrade your Drupal website to the latest version?
Why do you need to upgrade to the latest version of Drupal 10? Here are the main points that clearly indicate that the upgrade has its advantages.
1. Drupal 10 is compatible with the latest web standards and technologies
One of the features of Drupal 10 is that it is compatible with the latest web standards and technologies. This means that Drupal 10 can work with the most recent versions of the software and protocols that are used to create and run websites. Here are some proofs of this feature:
- Drupal 10 now supports the latest versions of the frameworks and tools it relies on. For instance, PHP 8.1, Symfony 6, and Composer 2 are available. PHP 8.1 is the version of the programming language that is minimally required for Drupal 10, which provides better performance, security, and features. Symfony 6 is the version of the framework Drupal uses to organize its code and components, and it includes many improvements and bug fixes. Lastly, Composer 2 is the latest version of the tool Drupal uses to manage its dependencies and packages, and it improves speed, stability, and memory usage. It's important to note that support for previous versions of almost all these tools will end in 2023.
- Drupal has supported WebP since version 9.3, so Drupal 10 has this feature installed out of the box, which provides a better user experience because these images are smaller and faster than JPEG or PNG. This greatly affects the loading speed of your website. Most major browsers support WebP images, with the exception of Safari.
- Drupal 10 supports JSON:API 2.0, a web standard specification used to create APIs in JSON format. JSON:API 2.0 defines how to request and respond with JSON data, as well as how to handle errors, pagination, filtering, sorting, and more. Additionally, it is compatible with GraphQL, another widely used query language for APIs.
- Theme Starterkit tools for bespoke theme creation are a new feature of Drupal 10 that allows you to create custom themes for your website. They provide you with a set of tools and templates that make it easier for you to design and develop your own theme, without relying on a base theme like Classy. You can use the Theme Starterkit tools to generate a copy of the Starterkit theme, which has similar markup and CSS as Classy, but with more flexibility and customization options. You can then modify the generated theme according to your needs and preferences, using the Drupal command line interface or your preferred code editor. The Theme Starterkit tools are part of the Drupal core now.
2. Drupal 10 has a modern and user-friendly admin interface
One of the new features of Drupal 10 is that it has a modern and user-friendly admin interface. This means that the interface for managing and configuring your website is more attractive, intuitive, and accessible. Here are some proofs of this feature:
- Drupal 10 has the Claro admin theme installed out of the box, which has proven itself since the release of Drupal 8. The Claro theme is based on the Material Design principles, which aim to create digital products that are simple, intuitive, and consistent. With Claro's user-friendly interface, navigating the site is easy thanks to clear icons, buttons, menus, and forms. Moreover, Claro was created with the WCAG 2.1 AA accessibility standards in mind, ensuring that web content is accessible to people with disabilities.
- Drupal 10 also has a front-end theme Olivero from the box which has high reviews from developers that used it in earlier versions, which replaces the previous theme, Bartik. Olivero is a modern and responsive theme that has a clean and minimalist design, with a focus on typography and accessibility. Olivero is also compatible with all major browsers and devices.
- The Drupal 10 administration menu has been restructured to enhance user-friendliness and intuition. Menu items have been grouped into logical categories like Content, Structure, Appearance, Extend, Configuration, People, Reports, and Help, which makes navigation easier. Moreover, a drop-down feature has been added to the menu, enabling users to access sub-items without leaving the current page. Spelling, grammar, and punctuation have been corrected to ensure an error-free experience.
- Drupal 10 has an upgraded version of its rich text editor, the CKEditor 5, that boasts a modern and user-friendly interface. With additional features like media embeds, tables, lists, and code blocks, the new editor enhances the experience of creating and editing content.
3. Upgraded accessibility in Drupal 10
Drupal 10 has an upgraded accessibility feature that makes it more compatible, and accessible.
- Drupal 10 shows comprehensive documentation on building accessible websites, including accessibility principles, guidelines, standards, testing, tools, and best practices.
- Drupal 10 has enhanced keyboard navigation, which is crucial for users with motor or visual impairments. With keyboard navigation, users can interact with a website using only the keyboard, eliminating the need for a mouse or touch screen. To improve efficiency and intuition, the latest Drupal version offers keyboard shortcuts, focus indicators, skip links, and tab order. These features make website navigation easier for users with disabilities.
4. Easy Updates in Drupal 10.
- Automatic Updates is a module that applies patch-level updates to the core in a separate, sandboxed copy of your website to ensure that your website runs smoothly until the update is completely ready to be deployed. Plus, the module has the ability to detect and report any problems that may arise during the update process, so you can address them before the update goes live. The module is even designed to automatically detect incoming database updates and assist in running them during the update process. You can rest easy knowing that your website will be up-to-date with the Automatic Updates module.
- The Project Browser tool simplifies the process of discovering modules and themes for website developers. When a particular extension is chosen, step-by-step guidance is offered for implementing it on your website. Conveniently located within the Drupal platform, under the new Browse tab, the browser enables seamless exploration of projects without navigating away from your site.
5. Secure as always, even more
Drupal is a CMS that prioritizes security in all its services. The latest version of Drupal, version 10, comes with advanced security features that ensure the safety of user data. One of the newest features is the improved password policy that requires users to create stronger passwords. Additionally, Drupal 10 provides better security for third-party modules, simplifying the identification and addressing of potential security vulnerabilities.
The transition from Drupal 8 to 9 has been an incredibly soft process in comparison to the rather painstaking upgrade experienced between Drupal 7 and 8. However, it is worth noting that the shift from Drupal 9 to 10 is even more seamless. Drupal 10 offers a more flexible and convenient platform for building and maintaining websites. It simplifies the process of creating and managing content, allowing users to focus on providing high-quality content.
Take advantage of all the remarkable features that Drupal 10 has to offer as it streamlines your website functionality and ensures a good experience for users.
Our team is here to guide you through the migration process, making it a breeze to upgrade to Drupal 10. Get in touch with us today and catch how Drupal 10 can amplify your web project.